Categories of Special Interest
Artistic, Social, Technical
In Use As
1905 - 1915
Freestanding cast-iron pillar postbox, erected c. 1910. Moulded plinth, rising to moulded cornice and surmounted with shallow domed cap, having dentillated cornice. Maker's mark 'McDowell Steven & Co. Ltd., London and Glasgow' to plinth. Letter slot with raised lettering reading 'Next Collection'. Edward VII monogram with crown motif over, 'Post Office' in raised lettering and integrated handle to curved door. Located on footpath at junction of Harcourt Street and Clonmel Street.
Located on a prominent corner site, this well-made piece of street furniture enhances the streetscape of both Harcourt Street and Clonmel Street. Still in active use this postbox was erected during the reign of Edward VII and is a reminder of the final decades of British rule in Ireland. It is a high-quality example of mass-produced cast-ironwork dating to the early part of the twentieth-century.