Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1820 - 1840


315755, 233148

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Corner-sited end-of-terrace two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1830, now in use as offices. M-profile pitched roof, hipped to south, hidden behind ashlar granite parapet with moulded cornice and granite coping. Rendered chimneystacks to north party wall having granite cornices and yellow clay pots; parapet gutters. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with granite strip quoins to south-east and south-west corners, channelled granite walling to ground floor, painted to south, and painted walls to basement. Rendered walls to rear (east) elevation. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, largely projecting granite sills, continuous granite sill course to first floor, cast-iron balconettes to third floor and second floors (brackets of former balconettes remain to first floor). Six-over-six timber sliding sash windows with horns, three-over-six to third floor, uPVC and replacement timber casements to rear (east). Tripartite opening to basement of front (west) elevation, with panelled granite mullions, painted surrounds with deep granite lintel course over and multi-paned timber sashes. Bipartite timber casements to rear with incorporated overlight. Round-headed door opening with channelled granite reveals having cast-iron Scamozzian Ionic columns on plinth stops, supporting panelled frieze and cornice with decorative cast-iron petal fanlight. Panelled linings to recessed doorway with studded timber panelled door having brass furniture. Granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot scraper and curved granite steps; flanked by cast-iron railings topped with anthemion finials, over carved granite plinth, enclosing basement wells to north and south. Street-fronted on east side of Harcourt Street, at junction with Clonmel Street, abutted by matching terraces to north, Nos. 84-6 (50920237-6). Abutted to rear by five-bay two-storey red brick mews building, which fronts onto Clonmel Street (50920239).


This former townhouse was built as part of a unified terrace of four, comprising Nos. 83-6 (50920238-5), the principal façade is granite faced at ground floor level and terminated at both ends by granite quoins. It retains a fine Scamozzian Ionic doorcase, decorative cast-iron railings, petal fanlight and original studded timber door. The grand scale, confident use of materials and artistic detailing of this terraced group, makes this an imposing presence on what is a relatively intact streetscape of late-Georgian and early-Victorian townhouses. Casey (2005) notes that internally the rooms are very tall and grand with rich Greek Revival fibrous plaster decoration. Harcourt Street was opened 1777 by John Hatch, barrister and Seneschal of the Manor of St. Sepulchre. Development was sporadic until the late 1790s when Messrs Hatch, Wade and Whitten obtained approval from the Wide Street Commissioners for the further development of the street.