Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1840
Terraced three-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1820, with full-height return to rear. Now in use as hotel. Flat roof, hidden behind refaced brick parapet with granite coping, having parapet gutters and uPVC downpipe to south end. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond, English garden wall bond to rebuilt third floor and parapet, granite plinth over rendered walls to basement. Rendered walls to rear return (west). Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, masonry sills and raised rendered reveals. Replacement timber sliding sash windows with horns, largely one-over-one pane, two-over-two to second floor. Cast-iron guard rails to first floor. Secondary glazing to interior. Round-headed door opening with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, slim panelled pilasters flanked by replacement reeded-glass sidelights supporting plain frieze and cornice with plain glass fanlight and raised-and-field twelve-panelled timber door. Granite platform with cast-iron boot scraper flanked by iron railings with decorative corner posts on granite plinth, continuing to north to enclose basement area. Street-fronted on west side of Harcourt Street. Single-storey cement-rendered mews building with elliptical-headed opening, to rear plot lining Camden Place.
Built as a unified terrace comprising Nos. 24-31 (50920221-8), the group is characterised by the unusually narrow three-bays of the principal facades, and forms part of a relatively intact street of late-Georgian and early-Victorian townhouses. Though altered for use as a hotel, the building contributes to the wider streetscape, which retains uniform rooflines, vertical massing and restrained detailing. Harcourt Street was opened 1777 by John Hatch, barrister and Seneschal of the Manor of St. Sepulchre. Development was sporadic until the late 1790s when Messrs Hatch, Wade and Whitten obtained approval from the Wide Street Commissioners for the further development of the street.