Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social

Original Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1890 - 1910


315629, 233001

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached gable-fronted two-bay three-storey commercial premises, built c. 1900, with shopfront to front (west) elevation. In use as retail outlet. Pitched slate roof with angled terracotta ridge tiles, roofline running perpendicular to street, red brick chimney to south party wall with replacement pots and uPVC rainwater goods. Ashlar limestone coping to verges with kneeler stones, brick machicolation to apex of gable with geometric terracotta panels, featuring roundels to centre and foliated motifs to flanking panels. Machine made red brick walls laid in Flemish bond. Segmental-headed window openings, with terracotta keystones, granite sills, moulded brick aprons to second floor and one-over-one timber sliding sash windows, with ogee horns. Recent shopfront comprising timber pilasters with timber brackets framing deep timber fascia and cornice. Street-fronted, located to east side of Camden Street.


The building was is a fine example of the high quality commercial buildings erected on Camden Street in the late Victorian and early Edwardian period. The extensive use of terracotta and moulded brickwork attests to the skills and artisanship of the period, and add to the historic character of the streetscape. Camden Street is part of an ancient routeway, named St. Kevin’s Port, leading south from the city. It was renamed Camden Street in the late eighteenth century, possibly commemorating Charles Pratt, the first Earl Camden.