Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social
In Use As
1880 - 1890
Attached single-bay three-storey former house and shop, built 1887, as one of pair with No. 22 to north. Shopfront to front (west) elevation and hipped return to rear (east). Now in use as barber shop. M-profile roof, hipped to south of east span with glazed lantern between pitches, hidden behind brick parapet with carved limestone coping over and moulded red brick eaves cornice. Red brick chimneystack with cornices to north party wall, recessed uPVC rainwater goods. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with moulded red brick stringcourse to second floor and vitrified brick stringcourses to impost level. Segmental-headed window openings with bowtelll moulded red brick architraves, continuous carved limestone sill courses and one-over-one timber sliding sash windows with ogee horns. Recent brick and timber shopfront with door to upper floors having steel roller shutter. Street-fronted on eastern side of Camden Street Lower.
Built as one of a pair with No. 22 (50920192) to the designs of William Henry Byrne for Rev. D. Barber, a high level of ornamentation enlivens the façade. The moulded and polychrome brick work attests to the artisanship involved in the manufacture of machine-made brick in the late-nineteenth century. The building is typical of late Victorian architecture and contributes to the character of the streetscape. Camden Street is part of an ancient routeway named St. Kevin’s Port leading south from the city. It was renamed Camden Street in the late eighteenth century, possibly commemorating Charles Pratt, the first Earl Camden.