Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1870
Corner-sited attached two-bay three-storey former house, built c. 1860, with three-bay elevation to north and wraparound shopfront to front (west) and north elevations. Now in use as shop and flats. Pitched artificial slate roof, hipped to front with angled ridge tiles, hidden behind rendered parapet with moulded cornice over foliated moulding, surmounted with deep granite coping, having raised section to centre. Rendered walls with raised rusticated quoins to front elevation. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond with raised and rusticated rendered quoins to north elevation. Rendered walls to east elevation. Square-headed window openings with masonry sills and replacement casement windows to front elevation. Square-headed window openings with rendered reveals, masonry sills and replacement casement windows; single opening to first floor containing two windows separated by blocked window. Patent reveals and brick voussoirs to openings on north elevation. Rendered walls to ground floor of north elevation, framed by timber fascia and cornice terminated by scrolled brackets. Recent shopfront to front elevation. Street-fronted, located on eastern side of Camden Street Lower at junction with Camden Place.
Although some historic fabric has been lost, this building still retains its stucco façade embellishments, contributing to the character of the streetscape. The stucco quoins and moulded cornice add artistic interest to the façade, and attest to the artisanship involved in nineteenth century shopfront design. Though extended to the rear, the building maintains the traditional plot width associated with this historic street. Camden Street is part of an ancient routeway, named St. Kevin’s Port, leading south from the city towards Ranelagh and Enniskerry. It was renamed Camden Street in the late eighteenth century, possibly commemorating Charles Pratt, the first Earl of Camden.