Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Attached double-pile two-bay four-storey former townhouse over basement, built c. 1820, altered and extended in late twentieth century. Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched roof, hipped to west of rear (south) span, concealed behind brick parapet with granite coping, brick chimneystacks with clay pots to east party wall, concealed rainwater goods. Buff brick laid in Flemish bond, ruled-and-lined render to basement walls with granite stringcourse, smooth rendered to exposed east elevation. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height on upper floors, with brick voussoirs, projecting granite sills, patent reveals and decorative cast-iron balconettes to upper floors. Largely six-over-six replacement timber sliding sash windows with horns, six-over-three to third floor. Paired openings to basement having granite surrounds and mullion, with one-over-one sashes. Segmental-headed doorcase to western bay of principal (north) elevation with projecting moulded masonry reveal, moulded cornice over panelled frieze on engaged Ionic columns. Replacement decorative fanlight over original four-panelled timber door with beaded muntin and brass furniture. Shared granite entrance platform projecting over basement well, with cast-iron boot scraper, accessed from street via six granite steps. Recent flush timber doors to basement level beneath entrance platform, basement well enclosed by cast-iron railings on granite plinth accessed by recent steel steps.
This well-proportioned Georgian-style townhouse, built as pair with no.91 (50920164) is a fine example of its type. The building retains much of its traditional character, with restrained detailing, diminishing window proportions, classical-style doorcase and cast-ironwork, which are important features that contribute to the historic streetscape character of St. Stephen’s Green.