Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1820
End-of-terrace three-bay four-storey former townhouse over basement, built c. 1800, remodelled, refaced and five-storey extension added c. 1980. Now in commercial office use. M-profile roof, hipped to west, concealed behind brick parapet with granite coping, brick chimneystacks to east with clay pots, concealed rainwater goods. Machine made red brick walling (c. 1985) laid to Flemish bond, English garden wall bond to east, stretcher bond to south, granite stringcourse over rendered basement walling to north elevation. Square-headed window openings diminishing in height on upper floors with brick voussoirs, patent reveals, concrete sills and ornate cast-iron balconies to second floor windows. Largely six-over-six timber sliding sash windows with ogee horns, three-over-six to third floor and basement, with metal bars affixed to basement, replacement three-over-three to east elevation. Round-headed doorcase to west bay of principal (north) elevation having rendered linings, brick voussoirs, entablature carried on Ionic columns over plinths with cobwebbed leaded fanlight (replacement) and ten-panelled timber door with brass furniture. Granite entrance platform accessed via three steps, with cast-iron boot scraper. Basement-well enclosed by decorative cast-iron railings over granite plinth.
This well-proportioned Georgian style former house is a good example of the scale, form and massing of the typical contemporary Dublin townhouse. While substantially rebuilt and extended during the 1980s, the building retains its stylistic essence to the principal elevation, with the restrained detailing, diminishing window proportions, impressive classical-style doorcase, and cast-ironwork contributing to the historic streetscape.