Survey Data

Reg No

50920136


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Artistic, Social, Technical


Original Use

Post box


In Use As

Post box


Date

1930 - 1950


Coordinates

315825, 233431


Date Recorded

13/08/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Freestanding oval-plan cast-iron double postbox on plinth base, installed c. 1940. Drum with raised ‘P&T’ insignia to front (west), curved door leafs to either side, neck mouldings framing two letter slots with further raised lettering ‘POST OFFICE’, dentillated frieze and shallow domed cap. Sited on western side of St. Stephen’s Green.

Appraisal

Prominently located on the west side of St. Stephen’s Green, this attractive piece of street furniture remains in use. It is a notable example of the high quality of mass-produced cast-iron work made in the early-twentieth century. Gaelic lettering was used for official government purposes in the early years after Independence.