Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


Historical Use

Shop/retail outlet


1740 - 1780


315572, 233544

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay four-storey former townhouse, built c. 1760, now in use as shop. Recent shopfront inserted to ground floor. Double-pile artificial slate roof, hipped to south with terracotta ridge tiles and yellow brick chimneystack with clay pots to north gable wall. Roof set behind rendered red brick parapet wall with granite coping. Steel rainwater goods to rear elevation only. Ruled-and-lined cement render over red brick walls to front (west) and side elevations, yellow brick to rear (east) elevation laid in English garden wall bond. Square-headed window openings with granite sills and uPVC windows. Recent shopfront spanning ground floor with single off-centre door opening and steel roller shutters. Cast-iron grilles to front pavement with granite surrounds. Street-fronted on eastern side of Aungier Street.


Built at least half a century later than the neighbouring buildings to the north, this former townhouse is considerably taller but retains the established plot ratio and graduated fenestration pattern on a larger scale. Reputed to retain an impressive mid-eighteenth century staircase, it forms an important component of the layered early residential streetscape.