Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1770 - 1790
Attached two-bay four-storey over concealed basement former townhouse, built c. 1780, as one of a pair with No. 44. Now in use as restaurant. Hipped slate roof with ridge running perpendicular to street and hidden behind front parapet wall with cement coping and convex yellow brick course. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with cement pointing, rebuilt to third floor. Polished pigmented cement rendered ground floor below continuous moulded sill course. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement multiple-pane top-hung timber casement windows. Possibly replacement timber panelled door obscured by hammered copper surround opening onto tiled platform enclosed by replacement iron railings set on plinth returning to enclose front area.
Built as one of a pair of townhouses, the building retains its traditional proportions, scale, fenestration pattern and parapet height. It has an unusual parapet detail, probably dating to later repairs. Though some original fabric has been replaced, it remains an integral part of the historic terrace and broader streetscape.