Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social

Original Use


In Use As

Public house


1770 - 1790


315751, 233732

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1780, with front railed basement area. Now in use as public house. Hipped slate roof with ridge running perpendicular to street and hidden behind front parapet with concrete coping and plastic hopper and downpipe breaking through to north end (shared with adjoining building). Rendered chimneystack, set parallel to street with clay pots (shared with adjoining building). Ruled-and-lined cement rendered walls with channel-rusticated soldier quoins, channel-rusticated rendered wall to ground floor and rendered basement wall. Square-headed window openings with granite sills and late nineteenth-century single-pane timber sash windows. Replacement top-hung timber casement windows to ground floor. Round-headed door opening with replacement timber panelled door and plain glazed fanlight. Door opens onto replacement granite paved platform bridging basement area, enclosed by decorative cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth returning to enclose basement area. Steel steps provide access to basement.


A late eighteenth-century townhouse that retains much of its detailing to the upper floors. While the ground floor changes detract from the overall composition, the building plays its part in retaining the traditional appearance of a coherent stretch of early townhouses on this historic streetscape.