Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use

Building misc

In Use As

Sports hall/centre/gymnasium


1860 - 1900


315812, 233744

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced three-bay four-storey commercial accommodation, built c. 1880, with recent shopfront inserted to ground floor. Built as one of a pair. Now in use as gym. Flat roof hidden behind parapet wall having moulded redbrick course below covered coping. Machine-made redbrick walls laid in English garden wall bond with iron tie-plates. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with granite sills and six-over-six timber sash windows with ogee horns. Shopfront with glazed entrance, full-height display window and polished granite clad surround with plastic fascia.


Built as a pair with the adjoining building, the scale and form of the pair make it an eye-catching addition to the streetscape. The survival of historic features, such as the timber sash windows and crisp brickwork, is noteworthy. Retaining the original plot ratio and external materials to the upper floors, the pair displays some of the traditional character that has been largely lost on the south end of Clarendon Street