Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use

Building misc

In Use As



1860 - 1900


315809, 233737

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced four-bay four-storey commercial building, built c. 1880, with recent shopfront inserted to ground floor. Built as one of a pair. Now in use as offices. Hipped roof with ridge running perpendicular to street with bitumen or felt covering and set behind parapet having moulded red brick course below covered coping. Rendered chimneystack with clay pots to south party wall. Machine-made red brick walls laid in English garden wall bond with iron tie-plates. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with granite sills and six-over-six timber sash windows with ogee horns. Recent cast masonry-panelled shopfront spanning ground floor with glazed door and display window.


Built as one of a pair, this building has an unusual fenestration pattern, dating to the late nineteenth-century. The survival of historic features, such as the timber sash windows and crisp brickwork, is noteworthy. Retaining the original plot ratio and standing taller than the other buildings in the site, this pair of buildings displays some of the traditional character that has been largely lost on the south end of Clarendon Street and make a positive contribution to the streetscape.