Survey Data

Reg No

50920081


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1720 - 1760


Coordinates

315789, 233699


Date Recorded

22/09/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay three-storey former townhouse, built c. 1740, refaced c. 1890, with recent shopfront inserted to ground floor. Now in use as shop. Flat roof hidden behind parapet with large redbrick chimneystack having lipped clay pots to south party wall at centre of plan. Geometric brick trim to parapet wall with outlet to south end feeding into cast-iron hopper and downpipe. Machine-made redbrick walls laid in English garden wall bond. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with granite sills and single-pane timber sash windows with ogee horns. Replacement timber shopfront spanning ground floor with square-headed door opening to north bay having replacement timber panelled door and overlight providing access to upper floor.

Appraisal

Dublin Civic Trust's 'Survey of Gable-Fronted Houses and Other Early Buildings of Dublin' (2012) states 'This modest building exhibits a late nineteenth-century fa├žade but potentially conceals a much earlier building. The large chimneystack at the centre of plan, the entrance at the opposite side and the overall diminutive proportions indicate a building of early to mid eighteenth-century in date.'