Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social

Original Use

Public house

In Use As

Public house


1860 - 1880


315878, 233716

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Corner-sited attached gable-fronted two-bay three-storey public house, dated 1873, with early-twentieth century shopfront and two-storey addition to rear (south). Artificial slate roof, hipped to rear with ridge running perpendicular to street. Roof set behind gabled parapet wall to north with cement coping, circular plaque with monogram ‘JM’ and plastic hopper and downpipe breaking through to east. Ruled-and-limed rendered walls with rusticated render quoins and crown cornice to base of parapet to north. Yellow brick walls to rear only (south). Square-headed window openings with architraves, stone sills, first floor windows surmounted by plain frieze and lion head motifs with cornice. One-over-one timber sash windows throughout. Decorative timber shopfront comprises central depressed arch-headed door opening flanked by round-headed window openings framed by slender banded colonnettes rising from panelled stall risers and full-span arcaded overlight surmounted by replacement timber fascia. Retaining interior features and stained glass to shopfront. Fronting onto Harry Street at junction with Chatham Lane.


Modified during the early-twentieth century, the slender rendered façade stands out against the backdrop of largely red brick buildings. Retaining a good decorative shopfront, a good interior and original windows, the building forms part of a collection of late-nineteenth and early-twentieth century buildings that gives Harry Street its character. McDaid's was noted as one of the city's literary pubs.