Survey Data

Reg No

50920047


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical, Social


Original Use

Shop/retail outlet


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1920 - 1930


Coordinates

315802, 233691


Date Recorded

22/09/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Corner-sited attached four-bay four-storey commercial building, built 1926, with single-bay elevation fronting onto Clarendon Street and canted-bay to south-west corner. Shopfronts spanning both elevations. Flat roof hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping, plastic hopper and downpipe breaking through to east end. Single red brick chimneystack rising from west elevation and further rendered stack to east party wall, all having clay pots. Red brick walls laid in English garden wall bond. Square-headed window openings with rock-faced granite lintels, granite sills and aluminium windows. Rendered walls to ground floor with timber-framed display windows inserted to west end (south and west elevations) and square-headed door opening with double-leaf timber glazed door. To eastern end of south elevation is further traditional style timber shopfront surmounted by timber fascia and flanked by elaborate console brackets. To easternmost bay is round-headed door opening with replacement timber panelled door and matching round-headed sidelight (now blocked up). Occupying prominent corner site at junction of Chatham and Clarendon Streets and projecting beyond line of building on east side of Clarendon Street.

Appraisal

A substantial early-twentieth century building built to the design of Patrick Munden to create two shops, each with a dwelling above. While the windows have been replaced, the red brick fa├žade is enriched with subtle granite dressings. The canted entrance bay successfully addresses the prominent corner location. Surrounded by mid-twentieth century buildings, this structure disguises the large scale of the more recent insertions and greatly contributes to the appreciation of this streetscape.