Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social

Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1700 - 1740


315857, 233794

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay three-storey former townhouse with closet return, built c. 1720, refaced c. 1900, with timber shopfront to ground floor. Hipped natural slate roof with clay ridge tiles and ridge running perpendicular to street set behind red brick parapet with granite coping. Cast-iron hopper and downpipe breaking through to north end, replacement metal hopper and downpipe breaking through to south end. Rendered chimneystack with clay pots to north party wall, at centre of plan. Machine-made redbrick walls laid in English garden wall bond. Square-headed window openings with rock-faced granite lintels, granite sills and timber casement windows. Symmetrical timber shopfront with central glazed door and two display windows over panelled stall risers framed by slender flat-panelled pilasters. Square-headed door opening to south bay providing access to upper floors having flat-panelled timber door with bolection mouldings and rectangular overlight, all surmounted by timber fascia spanning entire ground floor. South side elevation abutted by red brick supporting wall built as part of the hotel complex c. 1980.


Dublin Civic Trust in its 'Survey of Gable-Fronted Houses and Other Early Buildings of Dublin' (2012) states 'The unassuming early twentieth-century appearance of No. 14 conceals an early eighteenth-century townhouse of considerable significance. In spite of the modified external fabric, the relatively intact interior confirms this as being the earliest building surviving on Clarendon Street, standing as a remarkable remnant of this once densely developed street as laid out in the final quarter of the 1600s. The interior exhibits all of the notable characteristics of a modest gabled house of its period, including simple robust joinery and good room proportions.'