Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social
In Use As
1860 - 1900
Corner-sited attached two-bay four-storey commercial building, built c. 1880, and altered c. 1910. Four-bay north elevation fronting onto Johnson’s Court and replacement shopfront spanning ground floor of both elevations. Hipped slate roof with ridge running perpendicular to street and set behind parapet with cement coping. Parapet gutters and replacement plastic hoppers and downpipes breaking through on both elevations. Smooth rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with patent rendered reveals, cast concrete sills and replacement multi-paned timber casement windows. Replacement glazed shopfront spans ground floor with polished stone-clad surround and matching display windows to north side elevation. Street fronted on western side of Grafton Street with northern elevation addressing Johnson’s Court.
Altered to the designs of F.W. Higginbotham, the building's exterior is early-twentieth century in character, though an earlier fenestration pattern and plot size remain. The building bookends a terrace of varied building types as it turns into Johnson’s Court and plays its part in the variety of building types and styles that characterise this historic commercial streetscape.