Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Previous Name


Original Use

Public house

In Use As

Public house


1885 - 1900


315888, 233729

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Corner-sited attached five-bay three-storey with attic Gothic Revival public house, built 1886, with stair turret to south-west corner. Steeply pitched natural slate roof with roll-moulded clay ridge tiles and set behind red brick parapet with limestone coping. Decorative gabled dormer windows to south pitch with decorative bargeboards and finials. Single-profiled red brick chimneystack to east. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with splayed limestone ashlar plinth course, continuous flush limestone ashlar impost and lintel courses, and projecting moulded limestone ashlar eaves cornice to base of parapet supported on decorative corbels. Clasping circular stair turret rises from first floor to attic with corbelled out base having exposed limestone tread ends, forming curving base and supported on large corbels. Eaves cornice of south elevation extends across turret with circular attic storey surmounted by conical natural slate roof with lead finial. Deeply set square-headed window openings with bull-nose reveals, continuous moulded limestone sills and original bipartite timber casement windows with overlights. Shouldered window and door openings to ground floor formed in chamfered limestone ashlar surmounted by paired trefoil-headed overlights having leaded glazing, one-over-one timber sash windows and replacement glazed timber door. Occupying corner site at junction of Harry Street and Swan Yard.


A flamboyant polychromatic exercise of brick and stone by J. J. O’Callaghan in the Flemish Gothic typifying the High Victorian period. Retaining all external features and fabric intact, it also has a fine interior. Sited in an unassuming side street, it is a significant addition to the architectural heritage of the south city centre.