Survey Data

Reg No

50920016


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1840 - 1860


Coordinates

315903, 233632


Date Recorded

22/09/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached two-bay four-storey brick former townhouse, built c. 1850, constructed (or refaced) as one of a pair with No. 44 (50920015). Replacement shopfront spanning the ground floor. M-profile slate roof hidden behind parapet wall with two brick chimneystacks to north party wall having lipped clay pots. Replacement metal hopper and downpipe breaking through parapet to north. Brick walls with channel-rusticated quoins, continuous moulded sill courses with plain friezes, and crown cornice to parapet. Square-headed window openings with stucco architraves, pediments supported by scrolled console brackets over first floor openings. Multi-paned timber sash windows; replacement six-over-six with ogee horns third floor, possibly original six-over-six to second floor with convex horns and possibly original one-over-one (with glazing bars removed) to first floor. Recent glazed shopfront with traditional style timber surround. Forming part of continuous terrace of commercial buildings lining east side of Grafton Street.

Appraisal

Possibly built as a townhouse, this building retains the original residential plot size and domestic fenestration pattern. Built at an angle in the street line, the building is paired with the adjoining building (No. 44) by fa├žade embellishments, forming an interesting composition and contributing to the variety of the streetscape.