Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Previous Name

Fannin and Company

Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1820 - 1860


315907, 233658

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay four-storey former townhouse, built c. 1840, with recent shopfront spanning ground floor and return subsumed within rear extensions. Now in use as shop. M-profile slate roof, hipped to north and set behind parapet with crown cornice and central raised section. Shouldered brown brick chimneystack to south party wall. Parapet gutters with uPVC downpipes to rear. Ruled-and-lined rendered walls with channel-rusticated soldier quoins framing principal (west) façade. Rendered walls to rear (east). Square-headed window openings with render architraves, stone sills and six-over-six timber sash windows; original to second floor with convex horns and some historic glass, replacement to remainder. Bottom-hung timber casement to rear. Recent glazed shopfront with pair of early twentieth-century fluted console brackets framing recent fascia. Forming part of continuous terrace of commercial and formerly residential buildings lining east side of Grafton Street.


Wholly converted for commercial use, this former townhouse retains its original façade composition to the upper floors and a pair of the earliest windows on the street. The former residential nature of the building is evident in its fenestration pattern, plot size and general appearance above ground floor. The restrained façade detailing adds to the historic character of the streetscape.