Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As



1920 - 1930


315803, 234016

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached four-bay four-storey commercial premises, built 1924-5, having shopfront to ground floor and abutment to ground floor at rear. Flat roof, behind coursed granite parapet with gable detail over moulded cornice. Red brick walls to upper floors, flanked to middle floors by panelled brick pilasters with moulded granite capitals supporting deep moulded granite cornice over which are channelled ashlar pilasters to top floor with round medallions, in turn supporting cornice below parapet; cut granite to ground floor; apparently yellow brick to rear elevation. Square-headed window openings with architraves and simple keystones; openings to middle floors set within cut granite panels to each bay, with plain aprons to first floor and moulded panelled aprons to second floor, moulded sills, those to first floor on moulded brackets; all having timber double-light casements. Ground floor front has channelled pilasters, flanking shopfront and doorway giving access to upper floors, having round medallions. Timber shopfront with small-pane overlights, grilles to low stall-risers, recessed doorway with glazed timber door with small-pane overlight, with metal outer gate.


Commercial premises, designed by Patrick J.F. Munden, standing within the city's financial district. It has a relatively modest appearance compared to its neighbours to the north. An early twentieth-century structure, it displays pared-back classical detailing, with pleasantly contrasting red brick and granite masonry, with minimalist decorative detailing. Its fenestration and shopfront appear to be largely intact. At street level its presence is subtle, but typical of its era.