Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Previous Name

Burlington Buildings

Original Use


Historical Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As

Public house


1780 - 1820


315886, 234020

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay four-storey former house, built c. 1800, with return to rear (east) and replacement traditional-style pubfrontage. Remodelled and interlinked with adjoining buildings, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Now in use as public house. Pitched roof, hipped to west, concealed behind painted rendered parapet with masonry coping. Concealed gutters with cast-iron hopper and downpipe breaking through to north end. Painted brick walls, laid to Flemish bond, over painted smooth rendered walling to first floor, with continuous moulded sill course to second floor over rendered frieze having recessed lettering 'Burlington Buildings'. Square-headed window openings, with painted granite sills and brick voussoirs, bowtelll rope-moulded reveals to first floor and plain reveals elsewhere. One-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows, with convex horns to top floor and replacements to first floor having ogee horns. Metal grille fixed to upper pane of first floor window. Remodelled to form public house complex comprising adjoining buildings Nos. 2 and 4-5.


This Georgian house has been subject to successive alterations and remodelling works, but retains the original domestic plot size, vertical massing and fenestration pattern characteristic of the late eighteenth/early nineteenth century. The relatively small scale and restrained fa├žade stands in stark contrast to the elaborate early twentieth-century neighbouring buildings, thus diversifying the streetscape and adding to the architectural conservation area. the rope moulding to the first floor windows is unusual and the lettering provide decorative and social interest to the facade.