Survey Data

Reg No

50910236


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Previous Name

B. Hyam, Tailor


Original Use

House


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1790 - 1905


Coordinates

315694, 234028


Date Recorded

13/11/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached former pair of five-storey houses with shops to ground floor, built c. 1800 and altered three times 1870-1900, having two-bay second to fourth floors, three-bay first floors and recent shopfronts to ground floor. Now in use as one building, with rear plot developed separately. Pie-ended roof, with central brick chimneystack hidden behind parapet wall. Painted ruled-and-lined rendered walls, with rusticated render quoins, bracketed crown cornice and with further moulded cornice over first floor. Square-headed window openings, with painted stone sills, lugged-and-kneed architraves to top two floors, having pediment detail to top floor and pediments to second and third floors, those to first floor supported on scrolled foliate console brackets on panelled pilasters. Triple round-arch window openings to first floor, with continuous archivolts rising from full-span moulded imposts. Front elevation has replacement fixed-pane timber windows to first floor and replacement uPVC windows elsewhere. Central square-headed door opening, with set-back double-leaf glazed hardwood door and steel roller shutter, with mosaic tiled front area.

Appraisal

This appearance of this building is likely the result of a late nineteenth-century refurbishment of two Georgian houses of the Wide Streets Commissioners period. The decorative stucco details add interest to the fa├žade, while the fenestration of the upper three floors conforms to an early nineteenth-century pattern. The building forms part of a varied streetscape and contributes to the architectural interest of this busy thoroughfare in the commercial south city.