Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Previous Name

Farrow's Bank

Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1775 - 1795


315751, 234031

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay five-storey former house over concealed basement, built c. 1785, with Wide Streets Commissioners-designed arcaded granite shop front. Flat roof, hidden behind rebuilt parapet wall with granite coping and shared rendered chimneystack to east party wall. Red brick walls, laid in Flemish bond, rebuilt in machine-made red brick to top floor, and painted render banner between first and second floors. Oval panel, depicting Celtic warrior, between first floor windows. Gauged brick flat-arch window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted granite sills, first and third floors having nineteenth-century one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows without horns and with some historic glass, and replacement timber windows to second and fourth floors. Original arcaded granite ground floor comprising four round-arch openings rising from panelled pilasters with shallow keystones and with platband over, and having replacement display windows and doors. Two-storey structure to rear, on Dame Lane, with replacement windows.


This building is one of the last Wide Streets Commissioners houses to exist in this part of Dame Street, and is the only one with its original arcaded ground floor. It thus assists in the reading of the street as a whole and is of particular significance for being a reminder of the work of the Commissioners, an early planning authority in the city. The first floor plaque is likely a survivor from its use as a bank in the early twentieth century.