Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1905 - 1915
Attached three-bay four-storey commercial building, built 1909-11 as one of three similar buildings, middle floors having square-headed recess to each bay, and shopfront to ground floor. Pitched slate roof, set behind limestone ashlar parapet wall. Red brick walls, laid in Flemish bond, with modillioned deep moulded limestone crown cornice over second floor, and with limestone bands at sill and lintel levels to each floor. Geometric brick and limestone panels over second floor. Square-headed window openings, with moulded limestone sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with ogee horns. Shopfront flanked by panelled consoled pilasters of neighbouring buildings, with recent traditional-style shopfront inserted.
Attributed to Frederick Hayes, this building forms part of a group of three buildings designed as a single symmetrical composition. The builder was P.J. Hynes. It retains all original fabric above ground floor and some details of the shopfront. Flanked by the two gabled buildings, it forms the central element of the composition. It contributes to the wealth of built fabric largely dating from the turn of the twentieth century.