Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1905 - 1915
Attached gable-fronted three-bay four-storey commercial building, built 1909-11 as part of terrace of three, with two-bay top floor, middle floors having double-height round-headed recesses to bays, and shopfront to ground floor. Pitched slate roof on T-plan, with large chimneystack to east party wall and set behind shaped gable having moulded limestone coping and two narrow vents with brick surrounds. Red brick walls, laid in Flemish bond, with limestone ashlar bands at sill and lintel levels to each floor. Gauged brick to recessed bays, with limestone keystones. Square-headed window openings, those of top floor slightly recessed into limestone banding, with moulded limestone sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with ogee horns. Shopfront retains original scrolled and gableted timber console brackets, with recent shopfront inserted.
Attributed to Frederick Hayes, this building forms part of a group of three buildings designed as a single composition. The builder was P.J. Hynes. It retains all original fabric above ground floor and some details of the shopfront. The curved gables frame either end of the composition, adding interest to the roof-line, and providing a decorative element on an otherwise red brick streetscape. The building contributes to the wealth of built fabric largely dating from the turn of the twentieth century.