Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1770 - 1810
Corner-sited four-storey former house over concealed basement, built c. 1790, having two-bay elevation to St. Andrew Street and three-bay elevation to Exchequer Street. Possibly formerly two houses. Wraparound shopfront to both elevations. L-plan pitched slate roof, hidden behind refaced brick parapet with granite coping, and having replacement uPVC rainwater goods. Red brick walls, laid in Flemish bond, refaced to upper portion. Square-headed window openings with raised rendered reveals, and lacking sills to first floor, but having granite sills elsewhere, all with one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Shopfront to ground floor, comprising panelled pilasters with plain brackets supporting painted masonry fascia with dentillated cornice, square-headed display window with panelled pilasters and aprons and copper sills. Square-headed door opening with panelled pilasters, plain brackets and half-glazed timber raised-and-fielded panelled door. Square-headed secondary door opening with panelled pilasters and timber panelled door.
Exchequer Street derives its name from the Royal Exchequer which was located there in the medieval period. The street was largely rebuilt at the turn of the twentieth century and is dominated by tall red brick buildings with terracotta, brick and masonry dressings. This is one of the older buildings on the street and has a long history of use as a public house and grocers, dating back to at least the early nineteenth century. It includes a solidly built shopfront and acts as a counterpoint to the later buildings in its vicinity.