Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1910 - 1915
Attached four-storey commercial building over concealed basement, dated 1913 and built as middle part of three-bay block with similar form and detailing to premises to each side, and having two-bay top floor, canted two-tier oriel to middle floors, and shopfront to ground floor. Pitched roof, hidden behind brick parapet with render cornice, having brick chimneystacks with moulded brick cornice to north end. Moulded Portland stone eaves course over red brick walls laid in Flemish bond. Timber cornice on scrolled timber brackets to second floor. Oriel has carved timber cornices and sills, timber apron between floors with garland, and timber casement windows. Square-headed window openings with continuous sill course and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows to top floor. Shopfront comprising replacement timber panelled pilasters supporting timber fascia with console bracket having dentillated cornice. Recent square-headed display window on panelled timber plinth. Square-headed door opening shared with building to south, with double-leaf half-glazed timber panelled door and overlight with name plaque over.
This building, forming part of a group of three, was built as shops and offices, replacing the three houses on the site. The design was by Frederick Hayes and the builder J. Pemberton of Charlemont St. It was occupied by F.A. Wallen and Co., Motor Dealers. A characteristic oriel window to the middle floors places the building within an early twentieth-century context and adds visual interest to the façade. While the shopfront has been modernized in recent years, it retains a well-executed console bracket and deep dentillated cornice, the work of a skilled craftsman.