Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1910 - 1915
Attached four-storey commercial building, dated 1913 and built as east part of block of three buildings with similar form and detailing, having two-bay top storey, canted two-tier oriel to middle floors, and shopfront to ground floor, and hidden basement. Pitched roof, behind brick parapet, with render cornice, brick chimneystacks with moulded brick cornice to north and south ends, and cast-iron rainwater goods and cast-iron hopper with date to north end. Portland stone eaves course over red brick walls laid in Flemish bond. Deep timber cornice to second floor on scrolled timber brackets. Oriel has carved timber cornices and sills, timber apron between floors with garland, and timber casement windows. Square-headed window openings to top floor, with continuous sill course and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Shopfront comprising painted brick piers supporting timber fascia with console brackets supporting dentillated cornice. Square-headed display window on painted masonry plinth. Square-headed door opening set within recessed porch with mosaic-tiled threshold and half-glazed timber panelled door to south end.
This building, forming part of a group of three, was built as shops and offices, replacing the three houses on the site. The design was by Frederick Hayes and the builder J. Pemberton of Charlemont St. It was occupied by F.A. Wallen and Co., Motor Dealers. A characteristic oriel window to the middle floors places the building within an early twentieth-century context and adds visual interest to the façade. It is enhanced by the retention of a good-quality shopfront adding a patina of age to the composition.