Survey Data

Reg No

50910189


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Previous Name

Piggott Music and Pianoforte Warehouse


Original Use

Shop/retail outlet


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1900 - 1910


Coordinates

315974, 233994


Date Recorded

24/09/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached five-storey gable-fronted commercial building, built c. 1905, having two-bay top storey, oriel window to first floor and matching tripartite and Diocletian openings above, with dormer attic and concealed basement. Pitched roof, running perpendicular to street, hipped to rear (west), with two chimneystacks to north party wall, and concealed rainwater goods. Ashlar Portland limestone walling to front facade, with crown eaves cornice surmounted by pedimented attic storey. Latter has central keyed oculus window, having egg-and-dart moulded architrave and carved abstract lower spandrels, finial to apex, and octagonal dome-capped pedestals flanking pediment. Horizontally channelled Giant Order pilasters flanking first to third floors, carrying stepped entablature with dentillated cornice and central projecting pedestal, surmounted by paired fluted Ionic columns rising to eaves cornice, and with matching column to centre of top floor. Carved garlands to spandrels of third floor opening. Diocletian window has moulded architrave, key console and continuous moulded sill. Square-headed window openings elsewhere, with bowtelll-moulded reveals, second floors having flanking sidelights and ashlar stone mullions. Windows are one-over-one pane timber casements, with fixed single-pane casements to sidelights to oriel and Diocletian window and to attic oculus. Oriel has rounded corners over scalloped base, and central opening with mullion and transom, flanked by fluted pilasters rising to triangular pediment over entablature with blocking course, and sidelights with transoms. Square-headed shopfront to ground floor, with recent display window and door serving upper floors, flanked by horizontally channelled limestone pilasters rising to egg-and-dart moulded cornice over ashlar entablature with modern fixed lettering affixed. Steel cover to concealed basement.

Appraisal

Built to the designs of W.M. Mitchell, as new premises for Piggott's, originally established 1834 in Westmoreland Street. A well-preserved example of energetic Edwardian design, which employs an eclectic range of classical detailing, further enlivened by the first floor oriel. Despite the insertion of recent glazing and doorway to the shopfront, the original surrounds are preserved, constituting a relatively rare surviving example. Part of a group of similarly styled and dated commercial buildings that characterizes this stretch of Grafton Street, the front elevation is complimented by No. 113 abutting to the north, which employs similar building lines, materials and classical detailing devices.