Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1910 - 1915


315840, 233928

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached four-storey commercial building, built 1911, with two-bay top floor, double-height projecting canted timber oriel to middle floors, and recent shopfront to ground floor, and having full-height return to rear (north). M-profile roof, with red brick chimneystack to west party wall, having lipped yellow clay pots, concealed by balustraded parapet over moulded brick cornice. Parapet gutters with cast-iron hopper and downpipe to east end. Machine-made red brick walling to upper floors, laid in Flemish bond, with bowtelll-moulded raised brick surround framing top two floors, surmounted by toothed and moulded red brick crown cornice. Paired square-headed window openings to top floor, with brick voussoirs, masonry sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with ogee horns. Oriel has fixed timber casements and decorative leaded and rolled glass overlights, within moulded surrounds flanked by matching side-lights, latter having stained-glass overlights and framed by fluted piers and plain timber fascia with lead-lined cornice.


One of a terrace of red brick commercial buildings (18-22 Wicklow Street) to the designs of engineer and architect Francis Bergin (1855-1925). From information in The Irish Builder it would appear that they were built over a number of years. Although having similar brick detailing, each is slightly different, contributing to a lively streetscape. In the case of this building, it is a full-width display window at first floor level with a two level oriel window with decorative Art Nouveau overlights and some original glass, at its centre. This is the only one of the group with a balustrade to its parapet. They collectively form a distinctive part of this important commercial streetscape.