Categories of Special Interest
Switzer & Co.
In Use As
1900 - 1910
Corner-sited four-storey commercial building, built c. 1905, altered c. 1995. Having canted corner bay, two-bay elevation to Grafton Street and four-bay elevation to Wicklow Street. Each elevation has one bay of single window openings and other bays having tripartite openings to first floor and paired openings to floors above. Shopfront of c. 1995 to ground floor. M-profile pitched roof, hipped to south pile and to corner bay, concealed behind parapet, with concealed rainwater goods. Machine-made red brick walling, laid in Flemish bond, with lead-lined moulded cornice over painted and rendered eaves course. Square-headed window openings with moulded painted stuccoed architraves, having lugged heads to first floor, incorporating projecting painted masonry sills, hood-cornices to first and second floors, those to first floor stepped and having central frieze flanked by scroll-motifs. Tripartite openings have foliate colonnettes between lights. One-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows to top two floors, with ogee horns, and replacement timber casement or fixed windows to first floor. One twentieth-century one-over-one pane metal casement to north elevation, and replacement uPVC to west bay. Recent wraparound shopfront spanning neighbouring buildings to south. Recessed door openings to west end of north elevation, with replacement double-leaf doors. Main entrance to corner bay. Forms part of larger premises comprising Nos. 1-5 Clarendon Street, Nos. 38-44 Wicklow Street and Nos. 88-95 Grafton Street.
Edwardian commercial premises, built as part of Switzers Department Store. Records are unclear as to the exact construction date and the architects responsible: the building was either constructed about 1904 to the designs of Charles Ashworth, or about 1910-13 to the designs of Donnelly & Moore, the latter responsible for rebuilding the entire block, Nos. 38-45 Wicklow Street, during this time for Switzer & Co. department store. Adapted c. 1995, by Scott Tallon Walker Architects, for Brown Thomas department store with a replacement shopfront inserted to unify the ground floor. Despite such alterations the overall character of the building is well maintained, particularly across the upper floors and contributes to the rich and varied character of this significant department store complex which is an important component of the historic streetscape of Grafton Street.