Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


In Use As

Public house


1760 - 1780


315677, 233998

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Corner-sited double-pile two-bay four-storey over basement former house, built c. 1770, set back from building line and having two-storey later addition to front to meet street line. Now in use as public house. Entrance in chamfered corner to front block. Hipped slate roof with coping to front and having stepped rendered chimneystack to north gable and smaller stack to rear pile. Rendered walls with rusticated quoins to corners of upper floors of facade and to northwest corner at rear. Square-headed replacement uPVC windows with masonry sills. Recent railing to form terrace to front block. Ground floor has rendered shopfront with moulded cornice having egg-and-dart cornice, rendered plinth, and some recent detailing. Recent double-leaf timber door to corner. Square-headed display windows to front, and window and door openings to side elevation.


The earliest building on Dame Court, this is the only one surviving with the form of former house. Its rendered facade marks it out in a street of mainly brick-fronted buildings. Its set-back location is unusual. The two-storey front elevation addition obscures the house's original form, and the rating does not refer to this later addition.