Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1900 - 1920
Attached single-bay four-storey over basement commercial building, built 1910, with two-tier bowed oriel window to middle floors, and recent shopfront to ground floor. Now in use as public house. Flat roof, concealed behind brick parapet with flush masonry coping having mild-steel railing. Red brick chimneystack to north party wall, with clay pots, and parapet gutters and decorative cast-iron hoppers and boxed downpipes. Machine-made red brick walling laid in Flemish bond. Rendered walling to exposed section of north elevation featuring recent hand-painted signage. Segmental-headed five-light window opening to top floor, with chamfered block-and-start ashlar stone surrounds and mullions, hood-moulding and side-hung multiple-pane metal casements. Oriel has painted timber aprons (festooned to second floor), surmounted by moulded timber cornice, and has six-pane timber casement windows with four-pane overlights, timber mullions, transoms and continuous sills. Basement indicated by concrete pavement lights at street level. Remodelled to form public house complex comprising adjoining buildings Nos. 3-5.
Built to the designs of O'Callaghan & Webb, as commercial premises for R. Atkinson, the building has since had a replacement shopfront inserted and is linked to adjoining buildings to form a large public house. Despite some remodelling work, characteristic features including the two-tier bowed oriel window, festoon embellishments and other features are retained, these complimenting the similarly dated building to the south, and decoratively dominating the junction of Church Lane and Suffolk Street. The group enhances the architectural diversity of the streetscape and contributes significantly to this architectural conservation area.