Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1900 - 1920


315885, 233896

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay three-storey commercial building with dormer attic, built c. 1910 as one of pair with No. 35, and having replacement shopfront to ground floor. Mansard fish-scale slate roof with rendered chimneystack to west party wall and dentillated crown cornice eaves course. Concealed gutters with cast-iron hopper and downpipe breaking through to west. Red brick walling, laid in Flemish bond, with continuous granite sill band to second floor and flanking brick pilasters with bowtelll-moulded corners, that to west terminated by granite stop and that to east rising to foliate, fluted console bracket supporting round-headed pediment. Segmental-headed window openings with bowtelll-moulded reveals, brick voussoirs, granite keystones, brick hood-mouldings, and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with ogee horns. Oculus windows to attic dormers, set in moulded copper surrounds with lugged returns and foliate keystone motif.


One of a pair of early twentieth-century commercial buildings, by Dublin architect Frederick Hayes (1873-1958) that are well preserved and retain an original aspect above later shopfronts. The pair is uniformly detailed, enhanced by simple, but effective detailing in gauged and moulded red brick, and enlivened by pale stone banding. The highlight of the pair is the playful detailing to the mansard roof, which features fish-scale slates and oculus windows clad in exuberant classically styled copper-clad surrounds. The pair makes a significant contribution to the varied streetscape of Wicklow Street, and the wider retail core.