Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1900 - 1920
Attached two-bay four-storey commercial building, built c. 1910 as east end-of-terrace of three, having replacement shopfront to ground floor. Pitched roof with red brick chimneystack to party wall, that to east having lipped yellow clay pots. Roof concealed behind refaced red brick parapet with masonry coping. Concealed gutters with cast-iron hopper and downpipe. Red brick walling, laid in Flemish bond, with moulded sill courses, and flanked by brick pilasters with moulded imposts to first floor, gable detail to second floor, and red sandstone banding to middle floors. Paired square-headed window openings, having red sandstone lintels to otherwise plain top floor openings, open-bed pediments to second floor and full pediments to first floor, latter floors also having panelled friezes to window heads, basal lugs and moulded brick surrounds. Side-hinged timber casements with top-lights.
One of an early twentieth-century terrace of three shop units, prominently located on Wicklow Street, as it turns towards South William Street. The terrace retains its overall uniformity, plainly detailed with the exception of classically detailed surrounds that loosely complement the Baroque styling of the adjacent Foley’s Hotel to the west. Well preserved and benefiting from retention of original timber casement windows, this is a coherent, well-detailed building that contributes to the historic grain of Wicklow Street, and the streetscape of the wider retail core.