Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1760 - 1900
Attached two-bay four-storey former house, built c. 1765 and refaced c. 1880, with offices over, and having replacement shopfront to ground floor. Flat roof concealed behind rebuilt brick parapet with coping. Red brick walling laid in Flemish bond over rusticated painted rendered walling to ground floor. Square-headed window openings with projecting masonry sills, patent reveals and brick voussoirs. Two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows to top two floors, with ogee horns, and one-over-one pane to first floor. Shopfront has fluted pilasters rising to moulded cornice over full-height display window with glazed entrance door opening onto sunken entrance platform with step up to street level. Round-headed entrance opening to north bay, with rusticated rendered voussoirs and keystone detailing with top-light over six-panel door opening onto granite entrance platform, with two steps to street and flanked by cast-iron railings.
A narrow two-bay house, typical of the proportions that characterized the early development of South William Street. Although it has been unsympathetically altered it may retain historic fabric, and it is one of the few buildings in this part of the street to retain its original fenestration pattern, contributing to the historical context and architectural character of this street.