Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1900 - 1920


315876, 233901

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay four-storey commercial building, built c. 1910 as middle of terrace of three, with facade flanked by brick pilasters, and having replacement shopfront to ground floor. Pitched roof with red brick chimneystack to party wall, that to east having lipped yellow clay pots. Roof concealed behind refaced red brick parapet with masonry coping, and having concealed gutters with cast-iron hopper and downpipe. Red brick walling, laid in Flemish bond, with moulded sill courses. Brick piers have bowtelll-moulded heads. Paired square-headed window openings, with red sandstone details, having lintels to top floor, triangular pediments to middle floors, pediments being open-bed to second floor. Middle floors also have panelled friezes to window heads, basal lugs and banding, and moulded brick surrounds. Windows are side-hinged timber casements with top-lights.


One in an early twentieth-century terrace of shop units, prominently located on Wicklow Street, as it turns towards South William Street to the west. The terrace retains its overall uniformity, plainly detailed with the exception of classically detailed surrounds which loosely complement the Baroque styling of the adjacent Foley’s Hotel to the west. Well preserved and benefiting from the retention of original timber casement windows, this is a coherent, well-detailed building that contributes to the historic grain of Wicklow Street, and the wider retail core of south Dublin.