Categories of Special Interest
Artistic, Social, Technical
In Use As
1905 - 1915
Freestanding cast-iron pillar postbox, erected c. 1910. Round plan, with moulded plinth, rising to moulded cornice and surmounted by shallow domed cap, having toothed markings to perimeter. Makers' mark 'McDowell Steven & Co. Ltd., London & Glasgow' to plinth. Letter slot with raised lettering 'Next Collection'. Raised royal monogram of Edward VII and lettering 'Post Office' with crown motif and integrated handle to curved door. Located on footpath at junction of William Street South and Coppinger Row.
Located on a prominent corner site, this well-made piece of street furniture enhances the streetscape. Still in active use, it was erected during the reign of Edward VII and is a remnant of the final decades of British colonial rule in Ireland. It is a high-quality example of mass-produced cast-ironwork dating to the early part of the twentieth century.