Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1875 - 1885
Terrace of eight two-bay two-storey commercial buildings, except northernmost unit, latter having three-bay first floor and integral (possibly later) vehicular entrance to ground floor, built 1878-81. Shopfronts to ground floor. Pitched slate roof, with rooflights to front span, red brick chimneystacks with yellow clay pots, and cast-iron and replacement uPVC rainwater goods. Painted brick eaves course over painted brick walls. Segmental-headed window openings to first floor, with single and triple windows to northernmost unit, having painted brick sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows, some with iron security bars. Shopfronts generally comprise painted brick pilasters with chamfered arrises, scrolled terracotta brackets with pedimented caps and foliate plaques, framing timber fascia with dentillated cornice. Square-headed opening having painted brick pilasters with chamfered arrises, scrolled terracotta brackets with pedimented caps and foliate plaques, framing painted brick fascia and cornice to north end. Forms one of two similar terraces forming east side of South City Markets complex.
Drury Street, original called Little Boater Lane, and marked on late seventeenth-century maps of the city, is now characterized by Victorian commercial buildings, especially the eastern façade of the South City Markets. The complex was designed by Lockwood and Mawson in 1878 as a replacement for the earlier Castle Market. While smaller and simpler that the main elevations, these shops use many of the same brick and terracotta details. The pleasant shopfronts are framed by brick and terracotta pilasters, and have simple dentillated cornices to the fascia boards. Along with a similar terrace to the north, they attractively frame the eastern market entrance.