Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1875 - 1885
Terrace of ten two-bay two-storey commercial buildings, built 1878-81, with shopfronts to ground floor. Pitched slate roof with rooflights to front span, red brick chimneystacks with yellow clay pots, and cast-iron and replacement uPVC rainwater goods. Painted brick eaves course over painted brick walls. Segmental-headed window openings, with painted brick sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Shopfronts comprising painted brick pilasters with chamfered arrises, scrolled terracotta brackets with pedimented caps and foliate plaques, framing timber fascia with dentillated cornice. Forms one of two similar terraces to east side of South City Markets complex.
Drury Street, original called Little Boater Lane, is marked on late seventeenth-century maps of the city, but is now characterized by Victorian commercial buildings, especially the eastern façade of the South City Markets. The complex was designed by Lockwood and Mawson in 1878 as a replacement for the earlier Castle Market. While smaller and simpler that the main elevations, these shops use many of the same brick and terracotta details. The shopfronts are pleasantly detailed, having brick and terracotta pilasters and simple dentillated cornices to the fascia boards. Along with a similar terrace to the north, they attractively frame the eastern entrance to the South City market building.