Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1880 - 1900
Attached two-bay four-storey commercial building over concealed basement, built c. 1890, having single bay to first floor and two bays to top two floors, replacement timber shopfront to ground floor. Now in use as public house. Flat roof, hidden behind parapet wall having granite coping with patterned brick course below, and replacement uPVC hopper and downpipe breaking through to south end. Machine-made red brick walls, laid in English garden wall bond. Square-headed window openings to top two floors, closely arranged, and having rock-faced granite ashlar lintels, granite sills and possibly original one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with ogee horns. Timber oriel window to first floor having timber casement lights, with projecting rendered lintel and roof.
A modestly detailed purpose-built commercial building, that retains much of its restrained external detailing and displays a pronounced vertical emphasis. The structure contributes to the variety of the buildings that characterizes this historic street.