Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1760 - 1770
Terraced two-bay four-storey former house over concealed basement, built c. 1765 as one of pair, with replacement shopfront to ground floor. Triple-span hipped slate roof, glazed to central pitch and set behind rebuilt parapet wall with granite coping. Central shared shouldered and rendered chimneystacks with lipped clay pots. Red brick walls, laid in Flemish bond, with cement pointing. Painted channel-rusticated walls to ground floor, below moulded first floor sill course. Gauged brick flat-arch window openings to first and second floors and flush cement lintels to top floor, with painted granite sills and replacement uPVC windows. Shopfront comprises large display window with salvaged brass surround and square-headed door opening with salvaged pedimented timber surround.
This late eighteenth-century house is one of a pair that, despite the loss of original windows and ground floor treatments, retains much of its original form and appearance. This structure represents the dominant building typology of the streetscape during the eighteenth century. With the façade composition and roofscape intact, the house forms an important component of the historic streetscape and contributes to its relatively intact historic appearance.