Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1870 - 1890
Attached two-bay four-storey former house, built c. 1880. Now in retail use, with replacement shopfront to ground floor. Pitched roof, hipped to south, with rendered chimneystack to north party wall, concealed behind brick parapet with masonry coping over brick header course and black brick band. Concealed gutters with cast-iron hopper and downpipe breaking through to south. Red brick walling, laid in Flemish bond, with paired black brick bands to upper floors at impost level. Portland stone plaque located to centre of ground floor with foliate panel having central shield and raised lettering 'Established A.D. 1780', with raised panel over with rosette motifs and central carved chevron. Decorative wrought-iron bracket fixed to raised panel and to another masonry insert above; second decorative wrought-iron bracket to right-hand end of same level, supporting recent street lamp. Segmental-headed diminishing window openings, each having projecting masonry sill, bowtelll-moulded reveal to head, brick voussoirs, and pointed-segmental black brick band above. Two-over-two horizontal-pane timber sliding sash windows with horns.
A well-detailed late nineteenth-century building, most likely a remodelling of an earlier eighteenth century house. Although proportions are Georgian, the façade is distinguished by polychromatic brickwork and brick window detailing typical of the period. The interior of the first floor is well preserved, with original fireplace and plasterwork cornice, and an original nineteenth-century staircase is also retained. Despite the restrained detailing, the building is a notable presence on South William Street, contributing to the architectural diversity of this important streetscape.