Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1760 - 1770
Terraced two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1765 as one of group of three. Now in commercial use. M-profile pitched roof, hipped to north, with rebuilt rendered chimneystack with masonry coping to south party wall, concealed behind brick parapet with masonry coping, and having concealed rainwater goods. Red brick walling laid in Flemish bond, refaced to upper floors, over ruled-and-lined rendered walling to ground floor and basement. Square-headed window openings with masonry sills, brick voussoirs and replacement uPVC windows, nine-over-six pane timber sliding sash window to basement, with patent reveals and painted surrounds. Ground floor and basement have shop units, each surmounted by replacement timber panelled fascia. Plain glass display window to south side of ground floor, with replacement timber panelled surround and lead-lined cornice. Round-headed door opening to north side, comprising fluted pilasters rising to moulded cornice and archivolt over replacement spoked fanlight, with timber panelled door. Granite entrance platform with two steps to street flanked by cast-iron railings enclosing basement area. Square-headed door opening to basement level, with patent reveals and double-leaf glazed timber door. Square-headed door opening, now blocked, beneath entrance platform. Basement area accessed by modern steel steps from street level.
A modest former house, built c. 1760, which had been converted for commercial use by at least the mid-nineteenth century. Although successively altered, with replacement windows and a traditional-style shopfront, the Georgian domestic plot size and fenestration pattern remain evident. Retains original plasterwork and joinery. (Craig, 1999) As part of a wider terrace of similar buildings, No. 25 contributes to the historic streetscape character of South William Street.