Survey Data

Reg No

50910044


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1760 - 1770


Coordinates

315736, 233748


Date Recorded

02/10/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1765 as pair with No. 27. Now in commercial use with offices above. M-profile pitched roof, hipped to south with rendered chimneystack to north party wall, behind refaced brick parapet with granite coping, and having concealed gutters with replacement hopper and downpipe breaking through to south end. Red brick walling, laid in Flemish bond, with tuck pointing; rendered walls to basement with granite plinth course above. Square-headed window openings, diminishing to upper floors, with granite sills (one recent replacement), patent reveals and brick voussoirs, and with rendered surrounds to basement. Windows are multiple-pane timber sliding sashes without horns, nine-over-six pane to first floor, six-over-six to second floor and basement, three-over-three to third floor and Wyatt-style six-over-six pane window to ground floor with recent metal and neon signage affixed. Round-headed door opening with granite surround comprising engaged Doric columns on plinths supporting open-bed pediment framing replacement traceried fanlight in carved granite surround, and replacement timber panelled door. Narrow sidelight to south side of doorway, with fixed timber casement over integrated letter box, having metal grille fixed to sill. Granite entrance platform, having three steps to street flanked by cast-iron railings, with decorative corner posts, on granite plinth, enclosing basement area. Segmental-headed door opening beneath entrance platform, with recessed modern steel-clad door, and similar square-headed door opening to basement level of facade, with glazed timber door. Steel steps to basement level. Decorative plasterwork to entrance hall includes ceiling rose, cornice and some original joinery to door architraves.

Appraisal

A typical mid-eighteenth-century row house, built c. 1760 as a pair with No. 27. It is largely intact and has original decorative plasterwork and joinery to the interior. The well-balanced proportions of the restrained fa├žade are enlivened by a good neo-Classical granite doorcase and, despite some alterations, the pair form an important part of this historic streetscape.