Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1880 - 1890
Terraced two-bay two-storey brick house, built c. 1885, having slightly lower lean-to return to rear. Pitched artificial slate roof, with crested terracotta ridge and finial and having shared red brick chimneystack with polychrome brick cap; tall red brick chimneystack to return gable. Original profile cast-iron gutters on scalloped and banded polychrome brick eaves, and scalloped timber bargeboard to gable. Flemish bond red brick walling with yellow brick bands at impost levels, over painted plinth. Segmental-headed window openings to first floor with cogged brick heads, painted masonry sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with horns. box-bay window to ground floor has flat roof over timber cornice, tripartite fenestration divided by square timber mullions with plain moulded caps and bases. Original decorative tiled apron panel to box-bay, with gauged brick surrounds. Round-headed recessed porch, paired with neighbour and having cogged and chamfered brick surround with key block, tiled threshold and bolection-moulded six-panel timber door. Front garden separated by wrought-iron railings and bounded to road by composite cast-iron railings on granite plinth wall; rear garden enclosed by rubble stone walling.
This house is one in a fine unified terrace of late nineteenth-century houses, located adjacent to the National Botanic Gardens in Glasnevin. While the construction and detailing in polychrome brick are typical of the period, the quality is elevated by the wealth of original detailing, including an elegant box-bay window with a lively tiled apron panel in a botanically themed design, shared between each this house and its pair. Extending a row of earlier terraced buildings, this group makes a strong contribution to the architectural character, variety and quality of Glasnevin.