Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1880 - 1900
Terraced two-bay two-storey two-pile house over raised basement, built c. 1890 as one of terrace of fourteen, having full-height return to rear (south) elevation. M-profile pitched roof, hipped to west end of rear pile, having red brick chimneystacks with clay pots to east and west ends and to return, profiled metal gutter supported on corbelled yellow brick eaves course, and replacement uPVC downpipe to east end. Red brick walling to upper floors, laid in Flemish bond, with yellow brick stringcourse over granite plinth course and snecked limestone walls to basement; rendered to rear. Square-headed window openings with granites sills, having painted brick block-and-start surround to basement, and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Round-headed principal doorway, with carved timber doorcase comprising panelled pilasters having scrolled brackets, supporting timber frieze and plain fanlight, and carved timber panelled door; square-headed doorway to basement with red brick block-and-start surround and timber panelled door. Flight of ten nosed granite steps and granite platform shared with house to west, having wrought-iron handrails to each side with cast-iron uprights. Garden to front, bounded by decorative cast-iron railings on cut granite plinth, with decorative cast-iron pedestrian gate having ornate piers.
This well-built house is part of a terrace of fourteen late nineteenth-century houses with similar parapet heights and fenestration patterns. The combination of snecked limestone and red brick adds visual and textural interest to the facade. The corbelled brick detailing to the eaves places the house in a late nineteenth-century context. Its impressive steps and intact setting considerably enhance the site. The North Circular Road was laid out in the 1780s to create a convenient approach to the city. It developed slowly over the following century with little development west of Phibsborough till the 1870s.